This homemade tahini-free, creamy and slightly spicy avocado hummus makes the ultimate dip or spread and the perfect healthy snack for any time of day!
If you ever wondered what a blend of hummus and guacamole tastes like, then this is you answer! This slightly spicy but super healthy avocado hummus dip is so addictive it will be gone in no time! And it's a great way to have your veggie intake for the day. This creamy avocado hummus beats and store-bought dip, is a great party starter, and takes only 10 minutes to prepare!
Whilst I'm not a big fan of making this dip ahead of serving, it can certainly be made a couple of days ahead and chilled in an airtight container as otherwise the mixture tends to brown easily because of the avocado.
I'm also so excited to publish my first recipe video :)!!
Ingredients for Spicy Avocado Hummus
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chickpeas (canned are fine)
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Dried chilli flakes
- Parsley and Pumpkin seeds (optional, for garnishing)
How to Make Avocado Hummus
This recipe is super easy to prepare and takes just under 10 minutes to whip up a deliciously healthy dip!
All you need is a regular food processor and you're read to go!
Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place them along with garlic in the bowl of a food processor and mix until smooth (1-2 minutes). Add the sliced avocado, salt, cumin, coriander, chilli flakes, olive oil, and lemon juice and process well until the mixture is smooth and creamy (around 3 minutes). If the hummus is too thick, add an additional 1-2 tbsps. of olive oil.
Serve in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. You may garnish with parsley, chilli flakes, chickpeas, and pumpkin seeds as desired.
Some ingredients and spices in this recipe may be adjusted according to taste. If you hate spicy flavors, you may eliminate chilli flakes completely and if you're a big fan, you may double the amount of chilli flakes. The end-result is not too salty in taste, so you may want to add more salt :). You may garnish this avocado hummus with anything you desire (pine nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds) or nothing at all!
Storing and Making Ahead
When making this dip ahead, make sure to store it in an airtight container in the fridge. If left uncovered, the mixture will brown very quickly.
If you've tried this Spicy Avocado Hummus, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow me on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes! Also, check out these super healthy nibbles: Simple Caprese Salad Bites.
Spicy Avocado Hummus
- 1 medium ripe avocado sliced
- 80 g canned chickpeas rinsed & drained
- 1 garlic clove sliced in half
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. dried coriander
- ⅛ tsp. dried chilli flakes plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Optional: olive oil pumpkin seeds, chickpeas, chilli flakes, parsley (to serve)
- Place rinsed and drained chickpeas and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and mix until smooth (1-2 minutes).
- Add the sliced avocado, salt, cumin, coriander, chilli flakes, olive oil, and lemon juice and process well until the mixture is smooth and creamy (around 3 minutes). If the hummus is too thick, add an additional 1-2 tbsps. of olive oil.
- Serve in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. You may garnish with parsley, chilli flakes, chickpeas, and pumpkin seeds as desired.
Leave a Reply