This Matcha Almond Milk Latte blends the rich, earthy tones of matcha with the creamy, nutty essence of almond milk, creating a beverage that's both indulgent and refreshing!
This latte is an excellent choice for those who enjoy a less conventional, yet utterly satisfying, coffee shop-style drink right at home.
Matcha, known for its distinct flavor, pairs perfectly with the mild sweetness of almond milk, and this latte is both delicious and easy to make. It's a great option for anyone looking for a change from their regular coffee routine or those who love the taste of matcha.
This recipe requires just a few ingredients and minimal steps; it’s a straightforward, no-fuss drink that delivers on flavor any time of day.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Simple: With just a few ingredients, this Matcha Almond Milk Latte is easy to prepare, making it a perfect choice for a quick drink.
Adaptable: Whether you like your latte sweetened or prefer to savor the natural flavors, this recipe can be adapted to suit your taste preferences.
Dairy-Free: Using almond milk makes this latte a great dairy-free alternative, perfect for those who are lactose intolerant or following a vegan diet.
What is a Matcha Latte?
Matcha Latte is a traditional Japanese beverage which has become popular worldwide. It's made of matcha, a finely ground powder made from specially grown and processed green tea leaves, mixed with hot milk to create a creamy, frothy drink.
The matcha provides a unique flavor that is both earthy and slightly sweet. With almond milk, the latte has a delightful nutty twist, making the Matcha Almond Milk Latte a modern take on this classic drink.
Ingredients and Variations
- Matcha Powder: For the best results, use ceremonial grade matcha. It's higher in quality, has a vibrant green color and a smoother, less bitter flavor compared to culinary grade matcha. This type of matcha is ideal for drinks where its delicate flavor really stands out!
- Almond Milk: Unsweetened almond milk complements the matcha well without adding extra sweetness. If you prefer a richer latte, choose almond milk with a higher fat content.
- Hot Water: For dissolving the matcha powder.
- Optional Sweetener: Add honey, agave syrup, or sugar to taste, if you prefer a sweeter latte.
- Dairy or Other Plant-Based Milks: Feel free to substitute almond milk with other types of milk like oat, soy, or even cow's milk, depending on your dietary preferences.
- Flavor Enhancers: A drop of vanilla extract or a sprinkle of cinnamon can add an extra kick to your latte.
- Iced Matcha Latte: Simply pour the prepared matcha over ice and add cold almond milk for a refreshing iced version.
How to Make Matcha Almond Milk Latte
Prepare the Matcha: Start by sifting your matcha powder to remove clumps. In a bowl or mug, mix the matcha with a small amount of hot water to form a paste. Using a bamboo whisk, whisk until smooth and frothy, and make sure there are no lumps.
Warm and Froth the Milk: Heat your almond milk until it's just warm (not boiling). Use a milk frother or a whisk to create foam. If you don't have a frother, shaking the milk in a sealed jar can also work well.
Combine the Ingredients: Pour the frothy almond milk over the prepared matcha. Stir in any optional sweeteners or flavorings like vanilla or cinnamon. Sprinkle with matcha powder on top, if desired.
Serve: Your Matcha Almond Milk Latte is ready to be enjoyed either warm or poured over ice for a cold version. Adjust the sweetness to your preference, and enjoy the blend of matcha and almond milk flavors!
Tips and Tricks
- Use Quality Matcha: The flavor of your latte heavily depends on the matcha quality. Use ceremonial grade matcha which is less bitter and more flavorful.
- Use a Bamboo Whisk: For the best matcha froth, use a traditional bamboo whisk (chasen). It's specifically designed to whisk matcha smoothly and effectively, for a perfectly frothy matcha layer.
- Water Temperature: Avoid using boiling water as it can make matcha taste bitter. Aim for water around 80°C (175°F).
- Frothing Milk: If you don’t have a frother, a blender or a tightly sealed jar can be used to froth the milk. Warm milk froths better than cold.
- Serving Cold: For an iced latte, let the matcha mixture cool down before adding it over ice and pouring cold frothed almond milk on top.
Yes, you can substitute almond milk with any milk of your choice, including dairy or other plant-based milks like oat or soy milk.
Matcha contains caffeine, so a caffeine-free version isn't possible with matcha. However, for a similar experience without caffeine, you can use a caffeine-free green tea powder or herbal tea.
If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container and consume within a day. Note that the texture might change slightly upon refrigeration.
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with flavors like vanilla extract, a sprinkle of cinnamon, or even a bit of ginger for a unique twist.
Yes, this Almond Milk Matcha Latte is naturally vegan-friendly, as it uses almond milk, which is a plant-based milk, and matcha powder, which is derived from green tea leaves.
Make sure that any additional sweeteners or flavorings you use are also vegan if you're adhering strictly to a vegan diet.
Matcha Almond Milk Latte
- 1 tsp. high-quality matcha powder
- 120 mL hot water heated to around 80°C (175°F) (½ cup)
- 180 mL unsweetened almond milk heated to around 65°C (150°F) (¾ cup)
- Sweetener of choice (e.g., honey, agave, maple syrup, sugar)
- Optional flavouring (e.g., vanilla, ground cinnamon)
- Sift the matcha powder into a bowl or mug to remove any clumps. Add 2 tablespoons of the hot water and whisk vigorously with a bamboo whisk or a small regular whisk. Once the matcha forms a smooth, lump-free paste, add the remaining hot water and continue to whisk.
- Heat the almond milk until it's warm but not boiling. Then, whisk using an electric frother or a hand whisk. Foam should be light and airy.
- Gently pour the frothy almond milk into the matcha mixture. Mix in any sweetener or flavoring. Sprinkle a little matcha powder or a dash of cinnamon on top, as desired.