These simple Caprese salad bites are super colorful and full of delicious fresh ingredients! Great appetizers to serve when entertaining, these will become a go-to favorite!
Simple appetizers made with just a handful of fresh ingredients are a great way to welcome guests and take no time or stress to prepare! These simple caprese salad bites can also be made a day ahead and refrigerated until served. If you're a fan of Caprese salad, you will definitely love these!
Ingredients for Simple Caprese Salad Bites
For these simple salad bites, you will need the following ingredients:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Mozzarella (baby Mozarella balls are ideal, but any Mozarella is fine)
- Pine nuts
- Olive oil
These appetizers can be sprinkled with a pinch of sea salt or drizzled with balsamic vinegar right before serving.
You will also need a small food processor or blender (or a knife and chopping board). You may wish to serve these using skewers, although this is optional.
Caprese Bites Assembly
This appetizer can be made and assembled in no time.
Start by cutting the cherry tomatoes in half and gently scoop out all the seeds and pulp (you can save this for pasta sauce or soup).
Place a handful of fresh basil leaves, some pine nuts, and 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a small blender or food processor and pulse until the mixture is well blended, but still has a bit of texture. Add salt as desired (optional). If making one batch of these Caprese bites, make sure to use a small blender to ensure adequate mixing. Alternatively, you can finely chop the basil, crush the pine nuts and mix these well with olive oil in a small bowl.
To assemble the Caprese salad bites, place one Mozzarella ball into each half of the deseeded and pulped tomatoes, and top with half a teaspoon of basil and pine nut mixture. Optionally, sprinkle with salt and drizzle with more olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar before serving as desired.
If you're using whole mozarella cheese, cut it into small bite-sized portions that fit into cherry tomatoes.
Storing, Making Ahead & Serving
These Caprese salad bites can be made a day ahead and chilled until ready to serve. However, I prefer to top these with the basil, pine nut, and olive oil mixture right before serving. These taste best and most refreshing when chilled for at least a couple of hours before serving 🙂
If you've tried these Simple Caprese Salad Bites, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow The Classy Baker on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes! Check out another super easy, sweet, and delicious appetizer: Cheese & Pineapple Sticks!
Simple Caprese Salad Bites
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 12 baby mozzarella balls or whole Mozzarella cheese, see notes
- a handful of fresh basil leaves around 4g
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. roasted pine nuts around 2-3g
- Salt optional, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar optional
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half, and carefully scoop out seeds and pulp using a small knife or teaspoon (you may reserve the pulp for pasta sauces or soups). Set aside.
- In a small blender or food processor, place basil leaves, pine nuts, and 3 tbsp. olive oil and pulse until mixture is blender but still has a bit of texture. (Alternatively, finely chop basil leaves, and mix with crushed pine nuts and olive oil in a small bowl). Add salt to taste as desired (optional).
- To assemble: Place one mozzarella ball (or a small piece of mozzarella cheese) into each de-seeded and pulped cherry tomato half, and top with ½ tsp. of basil-pine nut mixture.
- Chill until ready to serve
Leave a Reply