These simple Matcha Crepes are a twist on the classic French crepe and make the perfect breakfast or daytime snack for matcha lovers!
If you're matcha-obsessed like I am, you'll will definitely love these Matcha Crepes for breakfast!
Made with a few basic ingredients and in under 30 minutes, these crepes are soft, delicious, and loaded with matcha flavour!
Just add a dollop of whipped cream, a dusting of powdered sugar, and some fresh fruit, and you'll have your matcha breakfast sorted.
Ingredients and Variations
Flour - Flour is the key ingredient for these crepes. All-purpose flour works best here.
Matcha - Use high quality matcha for the best flavor and vibrant green color! You can adjust the amount of matcha to your liking.
Eggs - To bind the ingredients together and provide structure.
Sugar - Sugar is optional but balances the slight bitterness from matcha. If you prefer a "sweeter" crepe, add in a tablespoon of granulated or caste sugar.
Salt - Just a pinch to balance flavor.
Milk - Use semi-skimmed or whole dairy milk, or neutral-flavored plant-based milk such as oat milk, rice milk, or cashew milk.
Water - Makes up the remaining "liquid" portion of these crepes.
Butter - To brush the skillet to prevent sticking
Serve this crepes with fresh fruit, powdered sugar, and/or a dollop of whipped cream!
How to Make Matcha Crepes
Make the Batter
Sift and mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, matcha, and salt). Add the eggs, one by one, and whisk well.
Add the milk and water and mix well to incorporate. The batter should be smooth and free from lumps as much as possible.
Rest the Batter
Let the batter rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. For the fluffiest crepes, do not skip this step!
Alternatively, you can cover and chill the batter overnight.
Heat a small skillet on medium-high. Brush the skillet with melted butter.
Pour around ¼ cup of batter and swirl the skillet in a circular motion to evenly coat it with batter.
Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for another minute. Transfer to a serving plate and repeat for the remaining batter.
How to Serve
Serve this matcha crepes with your favourite toppings and fillings, such as:
- Dust with powdered sugar
- Fill with fresh fruit such as fresh berries or sliced banana
- Add a dollop of whipped cream or drizzle with chocolate sauce.
These crepes are best served warm. They're ideal for breakfast with a cup of coffee or Oat Milk Matcha Latte or as a treat at any time of day!
Making Ahead and Storing
These crepes are best served fresh. If you must, store crepes (without fillings and toppings) in an airtight container and chill for up to 1 day.
The batter can be made a day in advance, covered, and chilled overnight.
- 125 g all-purpose flour (1 cup)
- 1-2 tbsp. granulated sugar optional
- 1½ tbsp. matcha
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 125 mL milk semi-skimmed, whole, or plant-based (½ cup)
- 125 mL water (½ cup)
- unsalted butter melted, for cooking
- fresh berries
- banana, sliced
- powdered sugar
- whipped cream
- chocolate/strawberry sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, sift and mix flour, matcha, salt, and sugar (if using).
- Whisk in eggs, one by one. Add water and milk and mix until smooth. Let batter rest at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and lightly brush with melted butter.
- Using a ladle, drop approximately ¼ cup of batter onto skillet. Swirl skillet in a circular motion to coat evenly with batter.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for another minute. Transfer to serving plate and repeat for remaining batter.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit, powdered sugar, and whipped cream.