This Almond Butter Banana Bread is simple, naturally sweet, and the perfect healthy breakfast or snack!
If you love banana bread, you'll need a few different variations. This version of banana bread is oil free and and slightly nutty thanks to the addition of almond butter!
This Almond Butter Banana Bread is delicious right out of the oven, but tastes even better the next day. It has all the characteristics of classic banana bread, its moist, fluffy, and naturally sweet.
It's also dotted with chocolate chips, making this bread an alternative treat for chocolate lovers.
Ingredients and Variations
The Dry Ingredients - You will need flour (whole-wheat), salt, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of ground cinnamon (optional).
Bananas - Overripe bananas are the best choice for banana bread. You'll need them to be as ugly and dark as possible. You'll need an extra banana halved lengthwise for the top.
Almond Butter - Use natural almond butter (either with or without oil).
Brown Sugar - You'll need half a cup of brown or cane sugar. This banana bread is naturally sweet thanks to overripe bananas, so you won't need a full cup of sugar.
Chocolate Chips - Use dark, milk, or white chocolate chips. These are optional.
Vanilla Extract - Flavor enhancer.
Eggs - Use medium-sized eggs at room temperature for binding and texture.
Greek Yogurt - This is what gives this cake its fluffy texture. Use plain, low-fat greek yogurt or any other type of plain yogurt or sour cream.
How to Make Almond Butter Banana Bread
Preheat the oven to 175°C (350F) and line a 9x5" loaf pan with parchment paper.
Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) and set aside.
Mash three bananas using a fork or potato masher.
Make the Batter
Mix almond butter and sugar (you can use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld whisk on medium speed). Add mashed banana and mix well.
Add the eggs, one by one, and vanilla extract, and mix well. Add the Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
Add the dry ingredients in two additions and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. If using, fold in the chocolate chips, using a spatula.
Transfer the batter into the lined loaf tin, and, if desired, top with a banana sliced lengthwise and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. To avoid too much browning on top, cover the banana bread for the first 20 minutes of baking.
Allow to cool, slice, and serve, or store for the next day!
How to Serve
Serve this Almond Butter Banana Bread for breakfast or as a healthy snack throughout the day.
This banana bread is great for making ahead and packed for picnics, school lunches, or outings!
Making Ahead and Storing
Banana bread is one of those recipes that tastes better a day after its made! Let the banana bread cook and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Alternatively, allow to cool, wrap in aluminium foil, and freeze for up to 2 months.
Due to the nature of some of the ingredients (eggs, Greek yogurt), this recipe is not vegan-friendly.
The riper the banana, the sweeter the bread. You can also use yellow bananas and increase the amount of sugar in the recipe.
TIP: If you don't have perfectly ripe bananas, place yellow bananas on a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 200°C (400F) and bake for 5 minutes.
Other Banana Bread Recipes
Almond Butter Banana Bread
- 250 g flour whole wheat (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon optional
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 100 g brown sugar (½ cup) + extra for sprinkling
- 85 g almond butter (⅓ cup)
- 3 overripe bananas + 1 extra banana halved lengthwise for topping the loaf (optional)
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 142 g plain, low-fat Greek yogurt (½ cup)
- 70 g chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350F) and line a 9x5" loaf pan with parchment paper. Mash 3 bananas using a fork or potato masher. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift and mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Place almond butter and sugar in a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can also use a handheld mixer). Mix on medium speed until well-combined. Scrape any ingredients from the side of the bowl using a spatula.
- Add mashed bananas and mix well. Add vanilla extract and eggs, one by one, and mix for 1-2 minutes after each addition. Add Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in two additions and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips using a spatula.
- Pour batter into prepare loaf pan, place 2 banana halves (sliced lengthwise) on top and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on wire rack, slice, and serve or store for later.