Soft, fluffy, and dairy-free. These Almond Milk Pancakes are the perfect start to your day!
If you're looking for a dairy-free alternative breakfast, this is it! Almond milk pancakes that are super fluffy and soft, you won't even notice they're dairy-free!
Although made with almond milk, these pancakes have no almond flavor and are perfect for those with dairy allergies or if you happen to run out of dairy milk!
Made with a few simple pantry ingredients and topped with fresh fruit and maple syrup, these almond milk pancakes will become your go-to breakfast for lazy weekend mornings!
What is Almond Milk?
Almond milk is a plant-based milk which is produced from almonds. It has a watery texture and a slightly nutty flavour.
Almond milk is low in fat and does not contain lactose, making it a great dairy-alternative for those who wish to cut down on dairy or are intolerant to lactose products.
Ingredients and Variations
The Dry Ingredients: You will need flour (all-purpose flour is perfect), baking powder, granulated (or caster) sugar, and a pinch of salt.
Almond Milk: Use your preferred brand of almond milk, ideally unsweetened.
Eggs: You will need 2 medium sized eggs, at room temperature.
Vanilla Extract: Optional, for flavouring.
Vegetable Oil: You will need some vegetable oil for the pancake batter and extra oil for greasing the skillet when cooking the pancakes.
Use neutral-flavoured oil such as canola or sunflower oil.
Toppings: You can drizzle these pancakes with maple syrup, a knob of butter, or a dusting of powdered sugar.
Serve with fresh fruit toppings such as berries or banana.
- Large mixing bowl - for mixing the batter
- Weighing scale - for weighing your ingredients accurately
- Whisk - to whisk a smooth pancake batter
- Large skillet - to cook your pancakes
- Spatula - for flipping the pancakes
- Sieve - for sifting dry ingredients
- Ladle - for transferring pancake batter to skillet
How to Make Almond Milk Pancakes
Make the Pancake Batter
Start by sifting and mixing the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Add the vanilla extract, eggs, and milk and whisk until you get a smooth batter.
Allow the batter to rest for 10-15 minutes. Do not skip this step!
Warm a large skillet on medium high heat. Grease lightly with vegetable oil.
Using a ladle, carefully drop approximately ¼ cup of batter onto the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping carefully using a spatula.
Transfer to a serving plate and repeat for the remaining batter. You should be able to cook 2-3 pancakes at one go in a large skillet.
Add Toppings and Serve!
Drizzle with maple syrup or add a small knob of butter on top. Alternatively, dust with powdered or icing sugar or serve with marmalade or homemade jam or compote!
Serve warm with seasonal fresh fruit!
Tips for the Perfect Pancakes
Weigh your ingredients using digital kitchen scales - this ensures accuracy and the perfect batter consistency and pancake texture!
For the fluffiest pancakes, rest the batter for at least 10 minutes. This allows the gluten (from flour) to relax and makes the pancakes light and fluffy.
How to Serve
Serve for breakfast or brunch with your favourite toppings.
- Drizzled with maple syrup, or dusted with powdered sugar or ground cinnamon.
- Topped with a small knob of butter while the pancakes are still warm.
- Topped with marmalade or homemade jam or fruit compote.
- Drizzled strawberry or chocolate syrup or whipped cream.
- Topped with fresh fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, banana, or figs.
Making Ahead and Storing
These homemade pancakes with almond milk keep well in a refrigerator (covered) for up to 5 days.
Make sure they are completely cooled before storing.
Other Breakfast Ideas
Frozen Strawberry Coconut Granola Cups
Almond Milk Pancakes
- 250 g all-purpose flour 2 cups
- 2-4 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 375 mL almond milk unsweetened (1½ cups)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract optional
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil + extra for cooking
- maple syrup or powdered sugar
- fresh blueberries
- fresh strawberries
- Sift and mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, vegetable oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract and whisk until combined and smooth. There should be no lumps in the batter.
- Let the batter rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium high heat. Lightly brush the bottom with vegetable oil or butter.
- Carefully drop ¼ cup of batter onto the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping carefully using a spatula.
Leave a Reply