This quick, easy, and healthy Spinach and Walnut Pasta is made with a creamy Greek yogurt sauce, and topped with spinach and crunchy walnuts!
The tangy flavor of creamy Greek yogurt combined with the earthy flavors of walnuts and spinach is what makes this dish delicious yet simple. Ready in under 20 minutes, this Creamy Spinach and Walnut Pasta is budget-friendly, healthy, and works great with any type of pasta! This recipe is perfect for a light and quick lunch or dinner especially on dry warmer days.
Creamy Greek Yogurt Pasta Sauce?
I love cooking and baking with Greek yogurt. It's a healthier alternative to heavy cream and sour cream as it has less calories and more protein. Best of all, you can still achieve a delicious creamy sauce with a healthier alternative!
Why this Recipe Works
This Creamy Spinach and Walnut Pasta is:
- Super quick to do, ready in under 20 minutes!
- A simple, budget-friendly meal.
- Can be made with any type of dried pasta.
- Ideal as a light lunch or dinner during warmer days, or as a starter to a special meal!
- Made with fresh spinach, a creamy low-calorie Greek yogurt sauce, and topped with Parmesan cheese and crunchy walnuts!
Ingredients and Substitutions for Creamy Spinach and Walnut Pasta
You will need the following ingredients:
- Dry pasta - Any dry pasta of your choice will do here, but I prefer using penne pasta.
- Butter - For sauteeing garlic and nutmeg. You can also substitute butter with olive oil.
- Garlic - Minced garlic for flavor (you can use garlic powder if fresh garlic is not available)
- Nutmeg - a pinch of ground nutmeg to enhance creamy flavors. Do not add more than ⅛ tsp. as it will overpower the sauce
- Greek yogurt- use plain, low-fat Greek yogurt for a lower-calorie meal. You can also use the full-fat version for extra creaminess and a heavier sauce
- Parmesan cheese - freshly grated for a cheesy sauce. Alternatively, you may also use freshly-grated Grana Padano
- Spinach leaves - you can use fresh or frozen spinach leaves for this sauce. If using frozen spinach, thaw and dry well using paper towels before using
- Milk - use semi-skimmed or whole milk
- Walnuts - coarsely crushed for an extra crunch
How to Make Creamy Spinach and Walnut Pasta
This Creamy Spinach and Walnut Pasta only requires a few simple steps:
- Boil pasta according to package instructions until al dente but do not drain water just yet. A bit of starchy pasta water will be used to make the sauce more creamy. Prepare the sauce whilst pasta is boiling.
- Mince and saute garlic with a pinch of nutmeg in a large skillet with butter or olive oil.
- Add spinach leaves and allow to wilt. Then, add milk and remove from heat. Whisk in Greek yogurt, parmesan cheese and pasta. Use a slotted spoon to transfer pasta from its pot to the skillet without completely draining the pasta.
- Mix pasta well with sauce, warm for another 1 minute (if needed) and season with salt and pepper. Divide between pasta bowls and top with coarsely crushed walnuts.
Can this recipe be made ahead?
This Creamy Spinach and Walnut Pasta is best served fresh, however the sauce can be made ahead, cooled down, and chilled in a glass jar for up to 2 days. The sauce can be rewarmed just before serving. Pasta is best cooked before serving. Alternatively, leftover Creamy Spinach and Walnut Pasta can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Other Pasta Dishes You'll Love:
- Creamy Tomato and Mascarpone Pasta
- Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Shells
- The Best Cannelloni Bolognese
- Vegan Penne with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
If you've tried these Creamy Spinach and Walnut Pasta, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow The Classy Baker on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes!
Greek Yogurt, Spinach and Walnut Pasta
- 400 g dry pasta
- 2 tbsp. butter (or olive oil)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 210 g low-fat greek yogurt (¾ cup)
- 5 tbsp. parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 120 g spinach leaves fresh (4 cups)
- 80 mL milk semi-skimmed (⅓ cup)
- 30 g walnuts coarsely crushed (⅓ cup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pasta in salted water according to package instructions until al dente. Do not drain water. Whilst pasta is boiling, prepare the sauce.
- Heat butter or olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add minced garlic and nutmeg and saute for 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Add spinach leaves, stirring continuously until wilted. Add milk and remove skillet from heat.
- Add Greek yogurt and whisk to incorporate. Add parmesan cheese and combine with sauce until melted.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop and transfer pasta from pot with pasta water into skillet (it's fine if it contains a small amount of pasta water).
- Add salt and pepper (to taste). Warm for 1 minute on medium heat and divide between 4 serving plates. Top with coarsely crushed walnuts.
Leave a Reply