Eggless Strawberry Swirl Muffins topped with a crunchy streusel and a citrus glaze are truly Spring in a muffin!
Strawberry season officially opens in March and there are countless strawberry recipes which I can't wait to try and share this Spring! This recipe is my latest addition to the fruity no-egg muffins collection following the success of the Eggless Blueberry Swirl Yogurt Muffins and Eggless Lemon Poppyseed Muffins earlier this year.
These Eggless Strawberry Swirl muffins are Spring in a muffin! This recipe brings together the flavor of fresh seasonal strawberries with that of lemon. The muffins are infused with lemon zest and juice, swirled with a simple homemade strawberry puree, topped with a crunchy streusel topping, and finally drizzled with a citrus glaze. The addition of lemon is completely optional and can be eliminated for more empowering strawberry flavors.
Why this Recipe Works
These Eggless Strawberry Swirl Muffins are:
- Super moist, thanks to the addition of Greek yogurt and a fresh strawberry puree
- Contain no eggs, and are therefore ideal for those with egg intolerance or as a lower-calorie treat
- Made with fresh seasonal fruit
- A great way to use up extra strawberries
- Are super simple to make, requiring just 15 mins of prep time
- Remain fresh for up to 5 days and can be made ahead!
- Perfect bakery-style muffins completed with crunchy streusel and a citrusy glaze
Ingredients for Eggless Strawberry Swirl Muffins
Do not be overwhelmed by the list of ingredients for these Eggless Strawberry Swirl Muffins! Most of the ingredients are pantry staples along with fresh strawberries and lemon (if using).
For the muffins, you will need AP flour, sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, low-fat Greek yogurt, milk, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
For the strawberry swirl puree, you will need fresh strawberries and sugar. The streusel requires granulated and brown sugar, melted butter, and flour. For the optional lemon glaze, you will need icing sugar and lemon juice.
- Greek yogurt can be substituted using plain white yogurt. Use low-fat and low-sugar versions for less calories.
- It's fine to leave out lemon zest and juice from the muffin batter if you're not a citrus fan. For the glaze, you can substitute lemon juice with milk or water.
Making Eggless Strawberry Swirl Muffins (Step by Step + Tips)
To make the muffin batter, start by mixing vegetable oil (I used corn oil) and sugar in a stand mixer until well combined. Add vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest (if using) and mix to incorporate. Then, add yogurt and milk.
Sift and mix dry ingredients in a separate medium-sized bowl (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda). Then, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two additions, mixing after each addition. Use a spatula for this step to avoid over-mixing the batter.
The muffin batter should be soft and not too runny. Chill the batter for at least 30 minutes (up to overnight). While the batter is chilling, prepare the streusel and strawberry puree.
Hull, wash, drain, and dry fresh strawberries. Then, puree strawberries using a stand or stick blender until smooth. Transfer the pureed strawberries in a small saucepan on medium heat.
Add a tbsp. of sugar and bring to a simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove puree from heat and transfer to a glass bowl. Allow to cool completely before using. The mixture will thicken as it cools down.
To make streusel topping, simply whisk melted butter with granulated sugar, brown sugar, and flour until a crumbly mixture is formed.
Assembling and Baking
Once the batter and puree have cooled, preheat your oven to 220°C (425F) and line a muffin tin with muffin liners (or grease with butter).
The batter will thicken when chilled but should be fluffy. Place about 1 tbsp. of batter in each muffin liner, and top with 1-2 tsp. of strawberry puree. Use a toothpick or skewer to swirl the puree into the batter (use a figure of 8 motion). Then, top with another ½ to 1 tbsp. of muffin batter, followed by 1½ tsp. of strawberry puree and swirl the top part of the muffin. Sprinkle each muffin with 2 tsp. of streusel topping.
Bake the muffins for 7 minutes at a temperature of 220°C (425F), then lower the oven temperature to 175°C (350F) and without opening the oven, bake for a further 8-12 minutes until muffin tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean with a few sticky crumbs.
Allow muffins to cool, then transfer to a wire rack to finish off cooling. Once completely cooled, drizzle with lemon glaze.
To make lemon glaze, simply whisk sifted icing sugar with 1 tbsp. lemon juice. Add more lemon juice if glaze is too thick. If glaze is too runny, add more icing sugar until a desired consistency is reached.
Tips for the Best Muffins
- The secret to get the perfect rise in these egg-free strawberry swirl muffins lies in two important steps: chilling the batter and baking at the right temperature.
- By chilling for at least 30 minutes, gas bubbles will form resulting in a beautiful rise while baking.
- When baking the muffins, start off with a high temperature of 220°C (425F). Bake for 7 minutes. Then, decrease the oven temperature to 175°C (350F) and continue baking until done. Do not open the oven when changing temperatures as this may cause muffins to sink.
- When adding dry muffin ingredients to wet ingredients, do not overmix, but fold the ingredients into the batter until just combined.
- Fill the muffin liners all the way to the top (and not ¾ full) for a large bakery-style muffin.
- This recipe yields 12 medium-sized muffins or 8 larger muffins.
Making Ahead and Storing
These Eggless Strawberry Swirl Muffins taste great even a day after baking! Store cooled muffins at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
The muffin batter can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated (covered). Strawberry puree can also be prepared a day ahead and chilled (covered) in a glass container. The streusel topping can also be made ahead and chilled.
If you Like this Recipe, you Might Also Like:
Eggless Blueberry Swirl Yogurt Muffins
Eggless Lemon Poppyseed Yogurt Muffins
Eggless Double Chocolate Yogurt Muffins
If you've tried these delicious Eggless Strawberry Swirl Muffins, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow me on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes!
Eggless Strawberry Swirl Muffins
- 1 batch strawberry puree (see below for ingredients)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (60 mL)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp. lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt (180g)
- ¼ cup. milk (60mL) semi-skimmed or whole
- 2 cups flour (250g) all-purpose
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ cup fresh strawberries (225g)
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1½ tbsp. brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. butter melted
- ¼ cup flour (30g) all-purpose
Lemon Glaze (Optional)
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice + extra as needed
- Sift and mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Place sugar and vegetable oil into a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Add vanilla, lemon juice and zest (if using) and mix for another 30 seconds. Add milk and greek yogurt and mix for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients in two additions, mixing after each addition using a spatula until just combined. Do not overmix the batter.
- Cover and chill muffin batter for at least 30 minutes (up to overnight). In the meantime, prepare strawberry puree and streusel topping (Instructions below).
- Strawberry Puree: Hull, wash, drain, and dry strawberries. Puree strawberries using a stand or stick blender until smooth. Transfer pureed strawberries in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add sugar and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a glass bowl. Allow to cool completely before using. Mixture will thicken slightly as it cools down.
- Streusel Topping: Whisk brown sugar, white sugar, melted butter, and sifted flour together in a medium sized bowl until a crumbly streusel forms.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425F) and line a muffin tin with muffin liners (or grease with butter). This recipe yields 12 medium-sized muffins or 10 larger ones.
- Place 1 tbsp. of chilled muffin batter into each muffin liner. Add 1-2 tsp. of strawberry puree and using a toothpick or skewer, carefully swirl the puree into the batter. Top with ½ to 1 tbsp. of muffin batter, followed by 1½ tsp. of strawberry puree and swirl the top part of the muffin. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. of streusel topping.
- Bake muffins for 7 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 175°C (350F) without opening the oven and bake for a further 8-12 minutes until muffin tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean with a few sticky crumbs.
- Allow to cool for 5-7 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish off cooling. Cool completely before glazing.
Lemon Glaze (Optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk sifted icing sugar with 1 tbsp. lemon juice. Add more lemon juice if glaze is too thick. If glaze is too runny, add more icing sugar until a desired consistency is reached. Drizzle glaze over cooled muffins.For a non-citrusy glaze, substitute lemon juice with water or milk.
Leave a Reply