This Vegan Penne with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes is tossed with fresh vegetables and makes the perfect and easiest vegan lunch or dinner!
It's been some time since I posted a pasta recipe and I've finally managed to create this light, plant-based dish loaded with seasonal vegetables and perfect at this time of the year when days are starting to warm up!
So for this dish I used 3 main vegetables: cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and orange peppers. Of course, you may use any colored pepper you wish, I just happened to choose orange to give the plate some color. I really believe that vegan dishes can be experimented with all the way in terms of color.
This recipe is really easy and quick to prepare. Making the sauce does not take longer than 15 minutes, and pasta can be boiled in the meantime. I've seen a lot of recipes involving pasta and zucchini and most of the time, no liquid is added, resulting in more of a pasta salad rather than a sauce. I think the vegetable stock would be the right fix for this, in a small amount, though. We don't want the sauce to be too runny and proper simmering needs to be ensured for the sauce to thicken slightly. Along with the juice from the cherry tomatoes, I think this was a delicious result!
Step by Step for Penne with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
This Penne with Zucchini & Cherry Tomatoes recipe is super easy to do:
- Start by sautéeing the zucchini and pepper until slightly brown and set aside. In the meantime, boil the pasta until al dente. Don't forget to add salt and a drop of olive oil to the pasta water to prevent it from sticking!
- Sauté the scallion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and dried herbs. After some time, the tomatoes will start to burst, releasing their juice.
- At this point, add the zucchini and peppers back to the pan, along with the vegetable stock and simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens. Mix the pasta with the sauce and you're ready to go! 🙂
If you've tried this Penne with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow me on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes! For other vegan recipes, check out my Vegan Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce recipe here.
Vegan Penne with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
- 200 g penne pasta or any pasta of your choice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium-sized zucchini sliced and quartered
- ½ orange pepper diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 scallion chopped
- 400 g cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- Start by boiling the pasta in salt water according to package instructions, until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet and sauté zucchini and orange pepper on medium-high heat until slightly brown, (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and transfer to an empty bowl once ready.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and add scallion and garlic. Sauté on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes, oregano, chilli flakes, and salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring continuously until tomatoes start to burst.
- Add zucchini, peppers, and vegetable stock and simmer for 5-7 minutes until reduced by half.
- Add pasta to skillet with sauce and mix thoroughly until combined.