These quick and simple 6-ingredient Strawberry Turnovers are made with flaky puff pastry and filled with a homemade strawberry filling.
If you love strawberries and are looking for a simple, delicious treat, then this strawberry turnover recipe is for you. Made with ready-rolled puff pastry, these turnovers are flaky, buttery, and loaded with juicy, delicious strawberries!
These strawberry turnovers are perfect to use up those ugly looking or ripe strawberries. Sprinkled with a dusting of powdered sugar, these sweet pastries are perfect at any time of day!
You'll only need 6 basic ingredients and egg wash for these fruity turnovers. They can be made with fresh or frozen strawberries and require no special cooking techniques!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Strawberries - You can use fresh or frozen strawberries for these turnovers. Feel free to use ripe and ugly-looking strawberries for the filling.
If using frozen strawberries, use them straight out of the freezer (no need to thaw them).
Sugar - To sweeten the filling. You can use granulated or brown sugar or any sweetener of your choice. I like using brown sugar due to its sweet, slightly caramelizing flavour.
Cornstarch/Cornflour - To thicken the filling. Make sure to dissolve cornstarch in cold water before adding to the mixture.
Vanilla Extract - Use good quality vanilla extract as flavour enhancer.
Lemon Juice - This is optional but accompanies strawberry flavours nicely.
Puff Pastry - Use store-bought ready-rolled puff pastry. Thaw at room temperature for 5 minutes before using.
How to Make Strawberry Turnovers
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400F).
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Homemade Strawberry Filling
Wash, hull, and dice the strawberries.
Place diced strawberries, sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice in a small saucepan on medium heat and bring to a simmer (5-7 minutes).
Use a fork or potato masher to lightly "mash" the strawberries to release their syrup.
Stir in cornstarch mixture (cornstarch dissolved in cold water).
Remove from heat and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
Slowly unfold the puff pastry and and slice into 6 equal-sized squares or rectangles.
Place 2-3 heaped teaspoons of cooled strawberry filling in the center of each puff pastry. Do not overfill the pastry!
Dip your finger in a small bowl of water and run it through the edges of each puff pastry.
Fold the top half over and seal the edges by pressing them using a fork.
Score the top of each turnover by making 3 small cuts.
Brush the surface evenly with egg wash using a pastry brush (to make egg-wash, lightly beat an egg and mix in 1 tsp. of milk).
Bake the turnovers for 18-22 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Dust strawberry turnovers with powdered sugar and serve warm!
Tips for the Best Turnovers
- Do not overfill the pastry with strawberry filling and seal the edges well, otherwise most of your filling will leak out.
- Avoid adding too much liquid to the filling or the pastry will become soggy.
- For a sweeter pastry, sprinkle the tops of the turnovers with brown sugar before baking (on top of the egg wash).
- Instead of powdered sugar, you can drizzle these turnovers with simple glaze (mix ½ a cup of powdered sugar with 1-2 tbsp. of milk).
- You can make the filling using other berries such as raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries, or a mixture of berries!
How to Serve Puff Pastry Turnovers
Serve these strawberry turnovers with a cup of tea or coffee. If you like, you can serve these with extra filling on the side.
You can also serve these fruity turnovers with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Making Ahead and Storing
Strawberry filling can be made ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
These strawberry turnovers are best served fresh and warm.
Yes! If using frozen strawberries, do not thaw or defrost but use them straight out of the freezer.
Other Strawberry Recipes
- 200 g fresh strawberries diced (1½ cups)
- 50 g brown sugar (¼ cup) + extra for sprinkling
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp. cold water
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry rectangular (375g/13oz)
- 1 small egg
- 1 tsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400F) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash, hull and dice strawberries. Place in a small saucepan and add brown sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes until strawberries are softened and syrup is released. Use a fork or potato masher to lightly "mash" the strawberries. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Remove from heat, transfer to a glass bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully unfold puff pastry and slice into 6 equal-sized rectangles.
- Place 2-3 teaspoons of cooled strawberry filling in the center of each piece of puff pastry. Do not overfill the pastry or the filling will leak out.
- Fill a small bowl with water. Dip your finger in water and run through the edges of each puff pastry and fold the top half over and seal the edges by pressing them using a fork.
- Score the top of each turnover by making 3 small cuts then brush the surface evenly with egg wash using a pastry brush (lighty beat an egg and mix in 1 tsp. of milk). Sprinkle the top of each turnover with some brown sugar if desired.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven, cool for 5-10 minutes, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve.
Leave a Reply