This Peach Oolong Tea made with fresh homemade peach tea, Oolong, and optional boba will keep you refreshed all summer long!
Homemade drinks are a refreshing treat in summer. Of course, you can easily buy peach ice tea from the store, but then nothing beats homemade tea! This vegan-friendly Peach Oolong Tea will keep you refreshed all summer long.
It's quick, simple, and a great way to use up extra peaches when in season! You can also throw in some boba or tapioca pearls to turn this into Boba Peach Oolong Tea!
Made with a simple homemade peach tea and combined with Oolong tea, this drink is perfect for hot days or summer BBQ nights. Your guests will thank you for it!
What is Oolong Tea?
Oolong Tea is a traditional Chinese tea made from stems, leaves, and buds of the Camellia sinensis plant. Interestingly, this type of tea is neither black or green, but it falls under it's own category.
The taste of Oolong tea is often described as fruity and floral, and pairs perfectly with peach flavor!
Ingredients and Variations
Peaches - To make peach syrup for peach tea, you'll need 3 large peaches.
You can use either yellow or white peaches, ideally fresh, but frozen peaches work too.
It's fine if the peaches are over-ripe, as we will be simmering and crushing these.
Oolong Tea - Depending on how strong you want your tea to be, you'll need 3 teabags of Oolong tea.
You can also use Oolong tea leaves. Loose leaf tea is normally of a higher quality than teabags. If using loose leaf tea, you'll need around 6-8 grams of leaves.
Honey/Maple Syrup - You can also use granulated or cane sugar.
Boba Pearls/Tapioca Pearls - These are optional. Tapioca pearls are gooey balls of starch and make a great addition to this Asian-inspired tea.
You can find these at Asian supermarkets or food stores. If using, I highly suggest you get the "quick-cooking" type, which require just 5 minutes of cooking time.
Water - You'll need hot water to brew the tea and some for simmering the peaches.
Ice - Lots of ice for a refreshing summer drink!
Mint - Mint leaves are optional but make this drink even more refreshing. You can also add fresh peach wedges or lemon slices.
How to Make Peach Oolong Tea
Make Peach Syrup: Peel, cut, and simmer peaches with sugar and a splash of water until soft. "Mash" and crush peaches to release juice and leave to set for 20-30 minutes.
Then, pour the mixture over a fine mesh strainer into a bowl and set aside.
Steep Tea: Whilst peach syrup is steeping, steep Oolong tea in hot water for 4-5 minutes. If desired, add sweetener of choice.
Cook Tapioca (if using): Bring a saucepan with water to a boil and add tapioca pearls. When tapioca start to float, decrease heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
Drain boba pearls and transfer them to a bowl with cold water. Let sit for 30 seconds, drain, and transfer to the bowl with peach simple syrup.
Assembly: To assemble, add 3-4 tablespoons of peach syrup to a serving glass.
Add boba (if using) and lots of ice. Then, top up with Oolong tea and give it a good stir.
Add sliced peaches and fresh mint leaves as desired.
Note: You can either mix the peach syrup with Oolong tea or keep it separate and decide how much to add to each serving.
Make it Vegan
Use vegan-friendly maple syrup for the peach syrup. Alternatively, you can use granulated or cane sugar (⅓ cup).
If adding extra sweetener to the tea, make sure it's vegan.
Tapioca pearls are typically plant-based, but always double-check with the label before purchasing
How to Serve
Serve this tea with ice during the summer months for a refreshing drink. Peach Oolong Iced Tea is perfect for entertaining during summer BBQs, cookouts, or by the pool!
It's great during hot summer days at any time of day!
Making Ahead and Storing
To store, transfer Peach Oolong Tea to a pitcher, cover, and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Yes, you can use frozen peaches for this recipe.
Use frozen peaches straight out of the freezer (no need to thaw).
Yes. The caffeine content of Oolong tea contains is similar to that in Green Tea, but less than Black Tea or regular coffee.
Other Peach Recipes
Peach Oolong Tea
- 3 large peaches yellow or white + extra for serving
- 4 tbsp honey or maple syrup see notes for vegan
- 60 mL water (¼ cup)
- 3 teabags Oolong tea or 6-8g Oolong tea leaves
- 750 mL hot water 3 cups
- sweetener of choice optional
Tapioca/Boba Pearls (Optional)
- 80 g quick-cooking tapioca/boba pearls (½ cup)
- 500 mL water (2 cups)
- 120 mL cold water (½ cup)
- ice cubes
- fresh mint leaves optional
- 1 fresh peach sliced in wedges
- Wash, peel, and dice peaches and discard pits. Place diced peaches in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add maple syrup/honey and ¼ cup water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until peaches are soft.
- Use a fork or potato masher to crush peaches to release more juice. Remove from heat and let sit for 20-30 minutes. In the meantime, prepare Oolong tea and Tapioca pearls (if using).
- After 20-30 minutes, transfer peach mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a glass bowl and set aside.
- Steep Oolong teabags/leaves in hot water for 4-5 minutes. Strain and discard teabags.
Tapioca Pearls (Optional)
- Boil 2 cups of water in a medium sized saucepan and and carefully add tapioca pearls.Once pearls float to the top (around 30 seconds), decrease heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes (covered).Drain cooked tapioca pearls and transfer to a bowl with cold water. Let sit for 30 seconds, drain, and transfer tapioca to glass bowl containing peach syrup.
- In a serving glass, add 3-4 tbsp. of peach syrup, tapioca pearls, and ice. Top up with Oolong tea and serve cold with sliced peach and mint leaves. Stir well and serve.
- Note: You can either mix the peach syrup with Oolong tea or keep it separate and decide how much to add to each serving.