These bakery-style vegan lemon poppyseed muffins are super moist and full of citrus flavors, minus the eggs and dairy!
Lemon poppyseed muffins are an absolute classic for anyone who loves anything and everything lemon flavored. This simple recipe is my vegan take on these moist, citrusy muffins that are ready in just under 30 minutes! They are drizzled with an optional 2-ingredient lemon glaze for added lemon-flavored goodness!
All you need for these lemon poppy seed muffins are a handful of basic pantry ingredients, some plant-based milk, a couple of lemons, and handful of poppyseeds! So get your mixing bowls out and your aprons on, and let's get mixing and baking!
Ingredients and Variations
Flour - You can use cake flour or all-purpose flour. Ideally, weigh your dry ingredients using digital kitchen scales for accuracy.
Sugar - Granulated sugar works perfectly for these vegan muffins. These muffins are not overly sweet since I opted for a reduced amount of sugar. I used ¾ cup of sugar instead of the typical 1 cup. However, feel free to adjust the amounts to your liking.
Baking powder and baking soda - leavining agents for a perfect bakery-style rise.
Salt - Flavor enhancer - just a pinch!
Vegetable Oil - I suggest using a neutral-flavored oil such as canola oil. You can also use sunflower or avocado oil.
Lemon Juice and Zest - (obviously!) You will need 5-7 tablespoons of lemon juice (depending on your taste) and the zest of one lemon.
Poppyseeds - Two tablespoons are just about right. Feel free to add more or less as needed (or eliminate completely if you're not a fan!).
Milk - I recommend using neutral-flavored plant-based milk. Some options include oat milk, rice milk, and soy milk. You can also use unsweetened almond milk.
These muffins are fabulous with or without the optional lemon glaze, but if you want to go ahead with a drizzle, you will need around 1 cup of powdered sugar and a few tablespoons of lemon juice.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (428F) and line a muffin tin with muffin liners (or use silicone liners).
- Sift and mix your dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix oil and sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add lemon juice and zest and mix.
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in poppyseeds using a spatula.
- Divide the batter between the muffin liners. Fill all the way to the top for a large muffin or ¾ full for a medium-sized muffin.
- Bake at 220°C (428F) for 7-8 minutes. Without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 175°C (350F) and bake for another 10-13 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes in muffin tin, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, drizzle with lemon glaze.
To make lemon glaze, mix powdered sugar with 2-4 tbsp. of lemon juice, depending on your preferred consistency. Use more lemon juice for a thin glaze and use more sugar for a thick glaze.
Make sure muffins have cooled down completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-5 days.
You can freeze these muffins for up to 2 months. Before serving, bring out the muffins from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature for 5-8 hours.
Yes! You can also make the batter in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day, and then bring it out to room temperature whilst preheating your oven.
Make sure to weigh your ingredients using digital kitchen scales for accuracy.
Allow the muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes in the muffin pan before transferring to a wire rack. If you move the muffins whilst still hot, they may fall apart.
Check out these eggless lemon poppyseed yogurt muffins for an eggless, non-vegan version using Greek yogurt!
You Might Also Like
Eggless Lemon Poppyseed Yogurt Muffins
Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 250 g flour AP or cake (2 cups)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 80 mL vegetable oil (⅓ cup)
- 150 g granulated sugar (¾ cup)
- 5-7 tbsp. lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 200 mL plant-based milk oat milk or unsweetened almond milk (¾ cup + 2 tbsp.)
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
Lemon Glaze (Optional)
- 125 g powdered sugar (1 cup)
- 2-4 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 220°C (428F) and line muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Sift and mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt) and set aside.
- Place oil and sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix until combined. Add lemon juice and lemon zest and mix for 1 minute.
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in poppyseeds using a spatula.
- Divide batter between muffin pan, filling all the way to the top for a large muffin or ¾ full for a smaller muffin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C (428F) for 7-8 minutes. Without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 175°C (350F) and bake for another 10-13 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in muffin pan for at least 10 minutes (otherwise they may break apart). Then, transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely and drizzle with optinal glaze.
- To make the glaze: mix powdered sugar with 2-4 tbsp. of lemon juice until desired consistency is reached. For a thicker glaze, add more powdered sugar. For a thinner glaze, add more lemon juice. Drizzle over cooled muffins.
Leave a Reply