These no-chill matcha chocolate chip cookies are soft, chewy, and super easy! With just 7 ingredients, these are the perfect tea or coffee time treat!
Baking is one of my greatest passions and I just love taking traditional dessert recipes and adapting them to a "matcha version". After lots of trying and testing, this matcha version of the classic chocolate chip cookie has been perfected! These cookies are just full of matcha flavor and best enjoyed with tea, coffee, or even better, a matcha latte!
If you would like to read more about matcha and its history, head over to my Matcha Coconut Chia Pudding post.
Which Matcha Powder Should I Use?
For these Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies, I recommend using a high-quality, bright green, culinary grade, pure matcha. The brighter the green of your powder, the more vibrant these cookies will come out! Unfortunately, using a cheaper quality, lower-grade matcha powder will result in browning of the cookies rather than a beautiful bright green color.
What Makes These Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies Great?
First of all, these cookies are super soft and chewy on the inside and slightly crunchy on the outside. The flavor blend of matcha and chocolate chips is simply amazing. These cookies only require matcha powder and 6 other basic pantry ingredients, and just 10 minutes of oven time. But best of all, the cookie dough requires NO CHILLING with the end result being a delicious cookie which only spreads slightly. For this reason, its very important to leave at least a 1 inch space between each cookie before baking.
How to Make Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies (Step by Step)
These cookies are not only beautiful to see but so yummy to eat! Only 7 ingredients are required, and with a bit of care when mixing the batter and no chilling needed, you will be able to make these delights in less than 30 minutes!
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- White sugar - avoid using brown sugar because it may cause discoloration of the green color
- Chocolate chips - dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips
- Baking soda
- Matcha powder - high grade, culinary grade, pure, and bright green
- Butter - softened at room temperature
Making the Cookies
To make these cookies, first, preheat the oven two 190 (375F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Start by creaming the butter and sugar well. I like to do this in an electric mixer fixed with the paddle attachment. This step is very important in order to get the perfect texture. You'll need to mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Don't forget to scrape down any ingredients from the side of the bowl! Then, add an egg and mix well to incorporate.
Next, add the sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and matcha). I like to use a spatula for mixing for this step. This will give you more control and will avoid overmixing the batter which is likely to happen if you use an electric mixer.
Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and mix until incorporated (using a spatula). The dough should be soft and moist, but not sticky.
Take spoonfuls of the dough, roll into a ball and place on the baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving 1-inch space between each dough ball. Top the dough balls with extra chocolate chips, as desired.
Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the cookies have spread and are a very light golden brown at the bottom edges. Bring out of the oven, cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack to finish off cooling. The cookies will be soft when out of the oven but they will harden as they cool down.
Storing Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies
These matcha chocolate chip cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. This recipe yields 12 medium-sized cookies :).
Have you tried these Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow Baked Fig on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes! Also, check out these other great Matcha Recipes.
Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 185 g all-purpose flour
- 113 g butter (unsalted) softened at room temperature
- 100 g white sugar
- 30 g chocolate chips (dark or milk chocolate) + more to top
- 1 tsp matcha powder pure, culinary-grade
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 egg (medium-sized)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place sugar and butter in a bowl of an electric mixer fixed with the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until mixture is creamy and smooth. Use a spatula to scrape and ingredients from the side of the bowl. Add the egg and mix well to incorporate.
- Add sifted flour, baking soda, matcha powder and mix using a spatula until combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in chocolate chips and incorporate into dough. Dough will be soft and moist but not sticky.
- Take spoonfuls of cookie dough (using a spoon or ice-cream scoop), roll into a ball, and place on baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving 1 inch space between each dough ball. Top cookie dough balls with more chocolate chips as desired.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until cookies have spread and are a very light golden brown at the bottom edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes (cookies will be soft when out of the oven and harden as they cool down), then transfer to cooling rack to finish cooling.