Made with just a handful of ingredients and some chilling time, this creamy vegan Matcha Coconut Chia Pudding is the perfect quick breakfast, snack or dessert!
This simple but delicious chia pudding, made with coconut milk and matcha powder is a great start for the day and a healthy dessert or snack. Also, it only requires a few minutes of hands-on preparation and a couple of hours in the fridge. The result is a creamy, matcha coconut chia pudding full of green tea flavor!
What is Matcha?
Matcha powder is made from finely ground green tea leaves which is typically whisked (rather than steeped) and then served with hot water or milk. The preparation and presentation of matcha, better known as "tea ceremony" forms a big part of Japanese tradition.
Matcha is usually sold in two different grades: ceremonial grade, which is the highest-quality and most delicate tasting type, and culinary grade, which is usually paired with other ingredients and perfect to mix with milk for preparing matcha latte. Overall, matcha tastes sweet but slightly astringent, creamy, frothy, and rich.
How to Make Matcha Coconut Chia Pudding (Step by Step)
This chia pudding can be made with just a handful of ingredients. The recipe yields 3 servings and in itself is not extremely sweet, so feel free to add more agave syrup/ sugar to your likings 🙂
This yummy chia pudding only requires 5 ingredients!
- Coconut milk (full-fat)
- Chia seeds
- Agave syrup (or any sweetener of your choice. You may use sugar, honey, maple syrup, stevia, or coconut sugar)
- Matcha powder (culinary grade)
- Shredded/ flaked coconut
You will also need the following kitchen tools:
- Large mixing bowl
- Whisk (a manual whisk is fine!)
- Serving glasses
Making the Chia Pudding
Place one can of coconut milk in a large mixing bowl, and add the chia seeds, agave syrup (or sweetener of your choice) and the matcha powder and whisk vigorously for 2-3 minutes.
Cover the bowl and chill for 30 minutes. Then, bring out the bowl and whisk for another 1-2 minutes. This will help to further "activate" the chia seeds to form a pudding-like consistency.
Divide the chia pudding between 3 serving glasses and chill for 2-3 hours (up to overnight!) until the pudding has set. Sprinkle with shredded/flaked coconut and serve cold.
Chia Pudding Toppings
Personally, I love topping this chia pudding with flaked or shredded coconut! Here are some other great topping ideas:
- Fresh fruit (banana, berries and many more)
- Cereal and granola
- Flaked milk, dark, or white chocolate (not vegan)
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans, hazelnuts)
- Whipped cream (not vegan)
Making ahead and Storing
This chia pudding is perfect when made the night before and chilled overnight! It can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Have you tried this delicious creamy Matcha Coconut Chia Pudding? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow The Classy Baker on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes!
Matcha Coconut Chia Pudding [vegan]
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (400 mL)
- 5 tbsp chia seeds
- 2-3 tbsp agave syrup (or any sweetener of your choice)*
- 1½ tsp matcha powder (culinary-grade)
- 2 tbsp shredded/ flaked coconut
- Pour coconut milk in a large mixing bowl, and add the chia seeds, agave syrup (or sweetener of your choice) and matcha powder. Whisk vigorously (using a manual whisk) for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, bring out the bowl and whisk for another 1-2 minutes. Divide the chia pudding between 3 serving glasses and chill for 2-3 hours (up to overnight) until the pudding has set.
- Sprinkle with shredded/flaked coconut and serve cold.
- You can add more/less sweetener according to your liking.
Leave a Reply