This Eggless Lemon Pound Cake is moist, tangy, and drizzled fresh strawberry glaze. Bursting with flavor, this is the ultimate dessert for lemon and strawberry lovers!
Lemon juice, lemon zest, and the most delicious homemade strawberry glaze are what make this cake so special.
Super moist and perfumed with lemon, easy to do, and no eggs required - this Eggless Lemon Pound Cake couldn't be easier and more delicious! This cake is one of my favourite breakfast or afternoon treats, bursting with refreshing citrus and strawberry flavors and requiring less than 10 minutes of hands-on time.
The batter for this Eggless Lemon Pound Cake is made using fresh lemon juice and grated lemon zest. The sweet glaze is made with fresh strawberries which gives a beautiful natural pink tinge.
This cake can be made in a loaf tin or a bundt pan. I personally prefer the loaf tin method as I find loaf tins less prone to sticking.
Ingredients and Variations
For the Eggless Lemon Pound Cake, you will need:
The Dry Ingredients - Flour (All-purpose or cake), baking powder, salt.
Sugar - I used a mixture of granulated and light brown sugar, but feel free to use one or the other as available.
Vegetable Oil - Use neutral-flavoured vegetable oil such as canola oil or sunflower oil.
Lemon - For this lemon-flavoured cake you will need fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
Vanilla Extract - optional, flavour enhancer.
Milk - You can use whole or semi-skimmed dairy milk, or neutral-flavoured plant-based milk for a vegan-friendly option.
For the homemade fresh strawberry glaze, you will need fresh strawberries and icing sugar.
Since the strawberries will be blended, this is a good recipe for using ripe or ugly-looking strawberries.
How to Make Eggless Lemon Pound Cake with Strawberry Glaze
Sift and mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) and set aside.
Place sugars and vegetable oil in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can also use a handheld mixer) and mix until combined.
Add the lemon juice and lemon zest and mix for another 30 seconds.
Add the dry ingredients, alternating with milk, in two additions, and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
Pour the batter into a 9x5" loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
Bake in a preheated oven at 175°C (350F) for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make sure the cake is completely cooled before glazing.
Wash, hull and slice strawberries in half. Place in a blender/food processor and blend until smooth.
Place icing sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir 2-3 tablespoons of strawberry puree, until the desired glaze consistency is reached.
For a thicker glaze, add more powdered sugar. For a thinner glaze, add more strawberry puree.
Chill for 20-30 minutes or until glaze has set.
Garnish with sliced strawberries, slice, and serve!
Tips for the Perfect Eggless Lemon Cake
- Weigh your ingredients using a digital kitchen scale (rather than measuring cups) for the best results and texture.
- For the best flavors, use freshly squeezed lemon juice and freshly grated lemon zest. Avoid using the concentrated bottled juice!
- Do not overmix the batter once you add the dry ingredients as this will cause the cake to be rubbery and dense.
- This recipe can also be made in a bundt pan but be sure to grease generously with butter or non-stick cooking spray to prevent your cake getting stuck to the pan.
- Sift and combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in a separate mixing bowl before adding them to the wet ingredients.
Make it Vegan
To make this vegan-friendly, use plant-based milk instead of cow's milk. Some great options include oat milk, soy milk, cashew milk, or rice milk.
Making Ahead and Storing
This cake keeps well when covered at room temperature for 4-5 days.
You can freeze the cake sliced or whole, without the glaze, for up to 3 months. Make sure the cake has completely cooled down before freezing in a freezer bag.
Thaw overnight at room temperature before serving and add the glaze after the cake is completely thawed.
Other Loaf Cake Recipes
Eggless Lemon Pound Cake
- 250 g Cake Flour or AP flour (2 cups)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100 g granulated sugar (½ cup)
- 100 g light brown sugar (½ cup)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 60 mL vegetable oil (¼ cup)
- 240 mL milk semi-skimmed, whole, or plant based (1 cup)
- 4-5 medium-sized fresh strawberries + extra for garnishing
- 125 g icing sugar or powdered sugar (1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350F). Line a 9x5" loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift and mix flour, salt, and baking powder into a medium-sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place granulated and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add vegetable oil and mix for 1-2 minutes. (You can also use a handheld mixer).
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract and mix well to incorporate.
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk, in two additions, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Transfer batter into loaf pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer cake to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Make sure the loaf has completely cooled before glazing.
- Wash and hull strawberries. Place in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Place icing sugar in a medium sized bowl. Stir in 2-3 tablespoons of strawberry puree, until the desired glazing consistency is reached. For a thicker glaze add more powdered sugar. For a thinner glaze, add more strawberry puree.
- Pour glaze over cooled loaf cake and chill until set. Top with extra sliced strawberries or lemon zest as desired, slice and serve.