This Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake is simple, buttery, moist, and dotted with bits of chocolate - just perfect!
Moist chocolate chip loaf cake. So simple and plain, yet super moist and delicious - what more could you ask for? This simple vanilla sponge cake with chocolate chips is perfect to enjoy at any time of day, anywhere you are!
All you need for this moist chocolate chip pound cake are a few basic pantry ingredients; mainly butter, eggs, flour, sugar and milk. And of course, chocolate chips! The cake batter comes together in under 10 minutes. Pop into the oven, and you're rewarded with a super delicious treat in just under an hour!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
This Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake is:
- buttery, moist, and so flavorful, made with vanilla sponde and loaded with chocolate chips!
- simple to make, requiring minimal preparation time and no special techniques
- requires a few basic pantry ingredients
- perfect at any time of day, on any occasion
- great to make ahead, slice, and bring to work, school or picnics!
Ingredients and Varitions
Flour - Cake flour works best for loaf cakes, but if this is not available, AP flour works just as well. Always weigh your ingredients using digital kitchen scales and sift and mix your dry ingredients well before adding to the batter!
Butter - Use unsalted butter softened at room temperature.
Eggs - Eggs add structure, leavening, and flavor to a cake. For this loaf cake, you will need 2 large eggs.
Milk - Milk is what makes this cake so moist and fluffy. Use semi-skimmed or whole milk. You can also use neutral-flavored plant based milk such as oat milk or unsweetened almond milk.
Sugar - Granulated sugar works perfectly for this chocolate chip loaf cake and slightly less than a cup is sufficient!
Baking Powder and Baking Soda - Raising agents. Make sure to sift and mix well with the flour before adding to your batter!
Salt and Vanilla Extract - For flavoring. Use good quality vanilla extract.
Chocolate Chips - Use your favourite dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips. You will need at least ½ cup of chocolate chips, but feel free to adjust this amount to your liking!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
- Sift and mix dry ingredients well and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes until pale and fluffy. For best results, use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add vanilla extract and eggs. Add the eggs, one by one, and mix well after each addition.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, alternating with milk, and mix on medium-low speed until just combined. Do not overmix the batter once you add dry ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips using a spatula.
- Pour batter into a loaf tin (8x4" inch or similar) lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated oven at 175°C (350F) for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. The top of the cake should be a deep golden brown color.
- Allow to cool, transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely, slice, and serve!
Can I Freeze This Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake?
This chocolate chip loaf cake freezes well for up to 2 months. Just wrap the cake in aluminium foil and place in a freezer-safe container. Thaw the cake overnight in a refrigerator (or at room temperature for at least 8 hours) before serving.
How do I store this Cake?
Store this chocolate chip cake in an airtight container in a refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Some Common Cake Problems and Solutions
Too Dense - Make sure to beat the butter and sugar well until pale and fluffy (1-2 minutes on medium speed). Use the right amount of flour (I suggest weighing the flour using digital kitchen scales) and do not overmix the batter once you add the dry ingredients.
Sunken Cake - Cake is undercooked. This chocolate chip loaf cake requires 45-55 minutes of baking time at 175°C (350F). Make sure to check for doneness by inserting a wooden skewer into the center. If the cake batter sticks to the skewer, it needs more baking time. Do not open the oven unnecessarily unless to check for doneness.
Cake Not Rising - Use the right amounts of baking powder and baking soda. Make sure you are not using old, stale, or improperly stored baking powder. Try to bake the cake as soon you mix the dry ingredients into the batter, and do not leave it to stand for too long before baking.
You Might Also Like:
Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
- 225 g cake flour (1¾ cup)
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 150 g granulated sugar (¾ cup)
- 112 g unsalted butter (½ cup) softened
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 120 mL milk semi-skimmed or whole (½ cup)
- 80 g chocolate chips milk or dark (½ cup + extra as desired)
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350F) and line an 8x4" loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Sift and mix flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix for 1-2 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and eggs, one by one, and mix for 1 minute after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with milk in two additions and mix on medium-low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips using a spatula.
- Pour batter into lined loaf tin and bake in the center of the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until deep golden brown at the top and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in loaf tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.