This hearty vegan red lentil coconut soup is packed with flavors! A healthy soup that is so easy and quick to prepare!
Let's talk about my favorite red lentil soup! As bright summer days start turning to grey skies, nothing is more comforting than a warm soup. This vegan red lentil coconut soup requires only a few pantry ingredients and will become one of your go-to meals during fall and winter months!
What are red lentils?
Lentil is a type of legume which is usually eaten in curries, soups, salads, or stews. Red lentils are slightly sweeter compared to brown or green lentils and their colors range from yellow to bright orange or red. They are a great alternative to meat and go well with spices and vegetables!
Making Vegan Red Lentil Coconut Soup (Step by Step)
This recipe is super simple and requires just a few pantry staples!
Ingredients for Red Lentil Coconut Soup
For this soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- Red lentils
- Vegetable oil (sunflower oil)
- Canned chopped tomatoes
- Coconut milk
- Topping (optional): sliced (or dessicated) coconut, a wedge of lime, parsley, dried chilli flakes
Making Red Lentil Coconut Soup
To make this soup, start by warming some vegetable oil in a medium-sized pot. Add a finely chopped onion (I use purple onions) and two sliced carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
Then, add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add some minced fresh garlic and turmeric and some powdered cumin. Use a wooden spoon to incorporate the spices with the vegetables. Add one can of chopped tomatoes and stir to mix well. Then, add one can of coconut milk (full or low-fat, as desired) and two cups of water.
Once the soup starts to simmer, lower the heat to medium, add your red lentils and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes, until lentils are cooked through. If the soup starts to dry up, add more water (½ cup at a time).
Top with desiccated or flaked coconut, a wedge of lime, parsley and some chilli flakes as desired!
Want to make this soup a bit more filling? Add more vegetables, such as sweet potatoes or regular potatoes and more carrots! Don't forget to add more liquid if you're adding more vegetables 🙂
Storing and Making Ahead
This soup can be made ahead and chilled (once cooled) in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Alternatively, you can freeze in a freezer-proof container for up to 1 month.
Have you tried this hearty soup?? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow Baked Fig on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes!
Red Lentil Coconut Soup [vegan]
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (e.g., sunflower oil)
- 1 medium purple onion finely diced
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 1 clove garlic finely diced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- ½ tsp fresh turmeric minced
- 1 tsp cumin dried
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat or low fat, 400 mL)
- 500 mL water (2 cups)
- 200 g red lentils
- 1 tbsp desiccated or flaked coconut (optional, for topping)
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional, for topping)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley (optional, for topping)
- 4 wedges lime (optional, for topping)
- In a medium sized pot, heat vegetable oil and add diced onions. Sauté for 3 minutes on medium-high heat and add sliced carrots. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add finely diced garlic, minced ginger, minced turmeric, and cumin, and stir to combine with vegetables. Sauté for 1 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, coconut milk, and water, and stir to combine. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 20-25 minutes until lentils cooked through.
- Remove from heat and serve. Top with fresh parsley, desiccated or flaked coconut, lime wedge, and dried chilli flakes, as desired!