This hearty vegan Pumpkin Carrot Soup is thick, creamy, and so simple to make. The perfect soup for colder days!
As the days start to get cooler, pumpkin soup becomes a classic favourite. This Pumpkin Carrot Soup combines two fresh and flavorful ingredients with just a handful of others to make a delicious bowl of warm comfort perfect for cold days!
Made with just 7 simple main ingredients, this hearty carrot pumpkin soup comes together in less than 40 minutes and is suitable for vegans. All you need is to chop the vegetables, throw everything in a large pot, cook, blitz, and serve with your favourite toppings or dash of cream!
Ingredients and Variations
Pumpkin - You can use any type of sugar pumpkin or butternut squash Make sure to peel and chop the pumpkin into 1-inch chunks to make sure it cooks quickly!
Carrots - Use medium to large carrots. Again, you will need to peel the carrots and slice them into rounds.
Onion - This makes the base of the soup. You will need 1 large sliced or diced onion.
Garlic - Just 2 cloves of garlic for added flavor.
Olive oil - To saute the onion and garlic.
Ground turmeric - This is optional but gives an earthy, peppery boost.
Ginger - Just a tiny amount of grated fresh ginger (or a pinch of ground ginger) will provide some spiciness to the soup. This is also optional.
Vegetable Stock - Use vegetables stock for a rich vegetable-flavor loaded soup.
Although this soup is naturally thick and creamy thanks to the pumpkin and carrots, you can also add a dash of plant-based cream or milk to make the soup extra creamy. Also, make sure to add your favourite toppings such as flaked chilli pepper, fresh parsley, or pumpkin seeds. For a non-vegan option, roasted bacon works wonderfully too! And don't forget to serve with a slice of buttery bread!
How to Make Pumpkin Carrot Soup
- Saute onions until soft.
Heat some olive oil in a large pot. Add the sliced/diced onions and saute until soft (around 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and spices.
Add 2 cloves of mashed garlic and stir in grated ginger and ground turmeric. Saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add pumpkin and carrots.
Add the chopped pumpkin and carrots and mix well to combine with spices.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
Pour in 3 cups of vegetable stock, cover the pot and bring to a boil. You will need to boil the soup for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through and soft.
- Blend, add toppings, and serve!
Using a hand-stick blender, blend the soup until smooth. If the soup is too thick, add some water. For a creamier soup, add some plant-based milk or cream (or dairy milk/cream for non-vegan). Add your favourite toppings and serve warm with a slice of fresh baguette!
Store leftover soup (make sure it has cooled down) in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Thaw and rewarm in a microwave/saucepan before serving.
Yes, this soup freezes well for up to 3 months.
Make sure to thaw at room temperature overnight before rewarming. If the soup is too thick, add some water.
Other Soup Recipes
Vegan Orzo Soup
Sweet Potato Apple Carrot Soup
Shallot and Leek Soup
Pumpkin Carrot Soup [vegan]
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- ½ tsp. freshly grated ginger or ¼ tsp. ground ginger (optional)
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric (optional)
- 600 g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" chunks (21 oz)
- 4-5 large carrots sliced
- 750 mL vegetable stock (3 cups)
- 60 mL vegan cream optional
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onions and saute until soft (5 minutes).
- Mix in garlic, ginger, and turmeric and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add chopped pumpkin and carrots and vegetable stock. Cover pot and bring to a slow boil. Boil for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Blitz soup using a hand-stick blender until smooth. For a creamier soup, add some cream or milk. For a runnier soup, add some water.
- Add your favourite toppings (such as pumpkin seeds, parsley, chilli flakes) and serve.
Leave a Reply