These crunchy (twice-baked) Pistachio Lemon Biscotti are easy to make and are the perfect treat for dunking into tea, coffee, or hot cocoa!
The true definition of "Biscotti" is "twice baked", which is what makes these Pistachio Lemon Biscotti firm, crunchy, and crumbly cookies, which have become increasingly popular around the world. Growing up, we would buy these as a tea-time dunking treat. These Pistachio Lemon Biscotti are infused with citrusy lemon zest and bits of pistachio for added crunch and nutty flavor.
In order to be perfect, biscotti should be crunchy and dense, but not too hard. This is why they are specifically meant to be dunked into coffee or tea. Typically, biscotti dough is formed into a log, baked, sliced, and baked one more time. This recipe follows the traditional one which uses eggs (with no added butter or oil). In terms of flavorings, you can get as creative as you wish by adding orange zest, chocolate, and any type of crushed nuts.
Why this Recipe Works
These Pistachio Lemon Biscotti are:
- Very easy to make, requiring just under 2 hours from start to finish (and most of this is actually chill and oven time).
- They can be made ahead and keep well for several days
- A great for dunking in tea or coffee; in fact, they should be dunked!
Ingredients for Pistachio Lemon Biscotti
This Biscotti recipe only requires 7 ingredients: granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, lemon zest, crushed pistachios, and a pinch of salt.
Making the Perfect Pistachio Lemon Biscotti (Step by Step)
Step 1: Sift and combine your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in a medium-sized bowl.
Step 2: Mix sugar and eggs. Then, add lemon zest. Tip: Use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment if you have one. Add eggs one by one and mix well after each addition.
Step 3: Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Do not overmix. Fold in crushed pistachios. Tip: Add dry ingredients in two additions and mix using a spatula rather than the stand mixer. This will give you more control and prevent overmixing.
Step 4: Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. Do not skip this step as otherwise the dough will be too sticky to work with.
Step 5: Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 165°C (325F). Scoop half the dough mixture onto one side of the baking. Form a log with the dough. Repeat with the remaining mixture to form an equal-sized log on the other side of the baking sheet. Tip: If dough is too sticky, sprinkle with some flour until manageable.
Step 6: Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly golden. Bring out of the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes (First bake).
Step 7: Slice each log into ½ to ¾ inch thick biscotti. Tip: You can slice biscotti straight or diagonally. Transfer each log onto a cutting board for this step and use a serrated knife to cut into a "sawing" motion.
Step 8: Place the biscotti back on the baking sheet and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes until the centers become dry and biscotti are golden brown. Bring out of the oven and allow to cool (Second bake). Tip: Biscotti will harden as they cool.
Making Ahead and Storing
These Pistachio Lemon Biscotti are perfect to batch bake and make ahead. Make sure biscotti are completely cooled and store in a glass jar at room temperature. These will keep well for 7 to 10 days.
The biscotti dough can also be made ahead and chilled in a refrigerator overnight. Alternatively, you can shape the dough into a log and freeze (in a freezer-safe bag) for up to 3 months.
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
Have you tried these Pistachio Lemon Biscotti? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow Baked Fig on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes!
Pistachio Lemon Biscotti
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 cups flour all-purpose (250g)
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 60 g pistachios coarsely crushed
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 165°C (325F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift and mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Place sugar in a stand mixer fixed with with paddle attachment. Add eggs, one by one, and mix on medium-low speed after each addition. Add lemon zest and mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in two additions, mixing with a spatula until just combined. Fold in pistachios and mix until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Scoop half the dough mixture onto one side of the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Form the dough in the shape of a log. If dough is too sticky, sprinkle with some flour until manageable. Repeat with the remaining mixture to form an equal-sized log on the other side of the baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes (until lightly golden). Bring out of the oven and allow to cool for around 10-15 minutes.
- Place baked logs onto a cutting board. Slice the logs in a sawing motion using a sharp/serrated knife into ½-¾ inch thick biscotti.
- Transfer the sliced biscotti, this time sliced side up, back onto the baking sheet. Bake for another 20-25 minutes until dried and centers are slightly golden brown. Biscotti will harden as they cool.