These simple 4-ingredient Nutella Pinwheels are packed with Nutella and topped with crunchy hazelnuts and make a super quick sweet treat!
If you love Nutella but have no time to prepare something sweet, these Nutella Pinwheels will save the day! These simple treats require just 4 ingredients and less than 30 minutes of your time, but will most likely disappear in no time.
These Nutella pinwheels are:
- Simple to make, requiring no special techniques or preparation.
- A quick treat, ready in under 30 minutes.
- Require just 4 basic ingredients.
- A great treat at any time of day, and can be easily packed for picnics, camping, and days out.
Ingredients and Variations
Puff Pastry - You can use ready rolled puff pastry for this easy dessert. Just thaw the pastry for 5-10 minutes before getting started.
Nutella - You'll need lots of this! Make sure to use softened Nutella, either straight out of a sealed jar or by warming it slightly in a microwave-safe bowl.
Hazelnuts - Crushed hazelnuts will add crunchiness to this Nutella puff pastry. You can use raw or roasted hazelnuts, coarsely crushed.
Milk - to brush the pastry before baking.
You will also need a large baking sheet, parchment paper, a palette knife, and a serrated knife or dental floss to slice the puff pastry.
How to Make Nutella Pinwheels
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400F) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll out the puff pastry on a clean surface. Spread Nutella evenly over the top surface of the puff pastry using a palette knife. Then, sprinkle crushed hazelnuts over the Nutella layer.
- Roll & Slice the Pastry
Starting from the longest side of the pastry, roll it into a tight log.
Slice the log using a serrated knife or dental floss for a cleaner cut.
Place pinwheels onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving a ½ inch space between each one. Brush the pastry with milk and bake for 18-23 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool & Serve!
Let the chocolate puff pastry pinwheels cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes and serve warm!
How to Soften Nutella
Nutella is usually most "spreadable" once opened from a sealed jar, but tends to harden slightly after a jar is open for some time.
There are many ways on how to soften or thin Nutella, but the easiest way for me is by warming it for 10-15 seconds in the microwave on high power.
Make sure to place the Nutella in a microwave safe bowl before doing this, and stir well using a spoon or fork after heating to smoothen the Nutella.
How to Cut Puff Pastry
There are a couple of ways to slice this chocolate and hazelnut rolled puff pastry:
- Chill the rolled puff pastry for 10 minutes (you can do this while you preheat your oven) and use a serrated knife to cut through the log.
- Use dental floss - this really works! Slide a long strand of dental floss under the puff pastry log. Wrap it around the top and pull tightly in opposite directions to pull the floss and slice through the log. Repeat for the rest of the log.
Storing and Making Ahead
These Nutella puff pastry pinwheels keep well for 2-3 days. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature once they have completely cooled.
You can make this delightful treat ahead and freeze them for up to 2 months. Wrap the pinwheels individually in a sheet of plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer-safe container.
Thaw them overnight, then warm them for a few seconds in the microwave right before serving.
Other Nutella Recipes
- 230 g ready rolled puff pastry
- 100 g Nutella
- 60 g hazelnuts roasted or raw, coarsely crushed
- 2 tbsp. milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400F) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out puff pastry on a flat surface. Spread Nutella evenly over puff pastry surface using a palette knife. Top with coarsely crushed hazelnuts.Tip: If Nutella is not spreadable, place in a microwave-safe bowl and warm it for 10-15 seconds on high power.
- Starting at the long edge of the pastry, roll it tightly into a log.
- Slice the log into ½ to ¾ inch-thick slices. Use a serrated knife or dental floss for clean cutting.How to use dental floss for slicing: Slide a long strand of dental floss under the puff pastry log. Wrap it around the top and pull tightly in opposite directions to pull the floss and slice through the log.
- Arrange the sliced puff pastry on the baking sheet, leaving a ½ inch space between each one.
- Brush pastry with milk and bake for 18-23 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let cool slightly for 5-10 minutes and serve warm.