You'll love these easy Cinnamon Streusel Muffins with swirl cinnamon sugar centers. They are moist, sweet, and are every cinnamon lover's dream!
Do you love the smell of cinnamon in the morning? These light and fluffy Cinnamon Streusel Muffins are bursting with cinnamon flavor.
Cinnamon sugar swirls give these muffins great taste. But the best part is the streusel topping. It’s addicting!
These bakery-style muffins are perfect for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. You can even serve them as dessert to your guests during the upcoming holiday season!
The recipe for these cinnamon muffins consists of 3 parts: the muffin sponge, cinnamon sugar, and streusel topping.
Ingredients and Variations
The Dry Ingredients: For the muffins, you will need flour (AP or cake), baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt.
For the streusel topping, you can use AP flour.
Cinnamon: You'll need lots of cinnamon for these muffins. Use good quality ground cinnamon for the best taste and aroma!
Sugar: You'll need granulated or caster sugar for the muffin sponge and cinnamon sugar. You'll also need granulated and brown sugar for the streusel topping.
Eggs: For binding and structure. Use room-temperature eggs.
Oil: Use neutral-flavored oil such as canola or sunflower oil.
Milk: Use semi-skimmed, whole, or plant-based milk.
Melted butter: For the streusel topping
How to Make Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Preheat oven to 220°C (428F) and line a muffin tin with muffin liners. You can also use silicone muffin molds.
Sift and mix the dry ingredients.
To make the batter, you can use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer.
Place sugar and oil in a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. Add the eggs, one by one, and mix until well combined.
Add the dry ingredients, alternating with milk, and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
In a medium bowl, mix ground cinnamon and sugar until combined.
Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir in sifted flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and granulated sugar and whisk until a crumble streusel forms.
Place 1 tablespoon of batter in each muffin mold. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar and top up with more batter (until ¾ full). Top with 1 tablespoon of streusel topping.
Repeat to use the remaining batter. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar on top of muffins.
Bake the muffins for 8 minutes at 220°C (428F).
Without opening the oven, decrease the temperature to 175°C (350F) and bake for another 8-12 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Please note that baking time depends on muffin size and oven.
Transfer to a cooling rack before serving.
Tips for the Best Bakery-Style Muffins
- Do not overmix the batter after adding the dry ingredients. Overmixing will result in gluten formation leading to a dense sponge.
- Bake the muffins at high heat 220°C (428F) for a few minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 175°C (350F) without opening the oven and bake until done. The high initial temperature helps muffins to rise rapidly, giving that bakery-style high-rise!
- Cool muffins on a cooling rack. Do not leave them in the muffin pan as they will become soggy and may collapse.
Making Ahead and Serving
You can prepare the batter for these muffins and chill up to overnight.
Serve these muffins warm with a knob of butter or at room temperature as breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon treat!
Store leftover muffins in an airtight container for up to 4 days (at room temperature).
Other Streusel Muffin Recipes
Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
- 250 g cake flour or AP flour (2 cups)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 120 mL vegetable oil e.g., canola oil (½ cup)
- 150 g granulated sugar (¾ cup)
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 80 mL milk semi-skimmed, whole, or plant-based (⅓ cup)
- 50 g granulated sugar (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 4-5 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 220°C (428F) and line a muffin tin with muffin liners (or lightly spray with oil).
- Sift and mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Place vegetable oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or use a handheld mixer). Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs, one by one, and mix well after each addition.
- Slowly add dry ingredients in two parts, alternating with milk and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Prepare cinnamon sugar: Place sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl and stir until combined.
- Prepare streusel topping: Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Add sifted flour, granulated and brown sugar and ground cinnamon and whisk to combine until streusel crumbs are formed.
- Assembly: Place 1 tablespoon of batter at the bottom of each muffin liner. Top with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar followed by another tablespoon of batter or until muffin liners are ¾ full. Sprinkle with streusel topping. Repeat to use up remaining batter. Sprinkle any remaining cinnamon sugar on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 220°C (428F). Without opening the oven, decrease the temperature to 175°C (350F) and bake for another 8-12 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Baking time depends on muffin size and oven.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes in muffin pan, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.