This easy Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake perfectly is a great coffee or breakfast accompaniment. This Italian inspired cake is deliciously rich, moist, and one which everyone will enjoy!
Growing up, my mother loved cooking pasta with ricotta sauce, especially on Fridays. I never really thought of ricotta as something you can make a cake with; I had only come across it in savoury dishes and a few Sicilian sweets (Cassata Siciliana, and Cannoli Siciliani). When I finally made my first ricotta cake (lemon ricotta cake), I was quite skeptical on how it will turn out... until I took my first bite. When I gave a slice to my mother, I didn't tell her it was a ricotta cake until after she tasted it and commented on its richness! Most Italian inspired ricotta cake recipes feature lemon, lemon glaze, or other fruits.This chocolate chip ricotta cake recipe is my slightly different version of the classic ricotta cake.
What is Ricotta?
Ricotta is a traditional Italian whey cheese made from cow, goat, sheep, or buffalo milk which is left over from the production of other cheeses. Ricotta cheese is creamy white in appearance, and its texture is similar to some types of cottage cheese, although much lighter in taste.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
For this Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Sugar (granulated and powdered)
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
Start by mixing the softened butter and sugar in an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Then add the ricotta, the vanilla extract and the eggs, one by one, and mix after each addition.
Add your sifted dry ingredients (flour, salt, and baking powder) to the wet ingredients and mix, using a spatula, until just combined. Do not over-mix. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour your batter into a cake mold (I use a silicone bundt cake mold, but you can use any shape of your choice) and bake in a preheated oven (170°C/ 350F) for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once ready, transfer the cake to a cooling rack and dust with powdered sugar once it has cooled completely 🙂
If you've tried this Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow me on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes! If you're a cake lover, check out my other Cake recipes here.
Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
- ½ cup butter softened (113g)
- 100 g sugar ½ cup
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour 240g
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 200 g ricotta approximately 1 cup
- 30 g chocolate chips approximately ¼ cup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- powdered sugar to serve
- Preheat the oven at 170 °C (350F). Line a cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer attached with the paddle attachment, place butter and sugar and mix on high speed for 1 minute. Add ricotta and mix until combined.
- Add eggs, one by one, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder to wet ingredients, and mix with a spatula until just combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into cake mold and bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Place cake on cooling rack and once cooled down, dust with powdered sugar and serve.