Vegan Blueberry Lemon Muffins
These Vegan Blueberry Lemon Muffins are soft, moist, and loaded with fresh blueberries and citrus flavors! Super simple and made in 1 bowl!
- 250 g flour all-purpose or cake flour (2 cups)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon optional
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 150 g granulated sugar or light brown sugar (¾ cup)
- 80 mL vegetable oil e.g., canola oil (⅓ cup)
- 180 mL unsweetened almond milk or any plant-based milk (¾ cup)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 200 g blueberries fresh or frozen1 + 80g extra for topping (1½ cup)
Preheat oven to 220°C (428F). Lightly oil a muffin pan or line with muffin liners.
Sift and mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon (if using) in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
Place sugar and oil in a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer) and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
Add lemon juice and lemon zest and mix for another 30 seconds. Add milk and mix for 1 minute until well combined.
Slowly add dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
Fold in 200g (1 cup) of blueberries using a spatula. Reserve the other half cup for topping.
Divide muffin batter between 12 to 14 muffin liners and fill almost all the way (for a large muffin) or ¾ full (for a smaller muffin). Top with extra fresh blueberries if desired.
Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C (428F) for 7-8 minutes. Without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 175°C (350F) and bake for another 10-13 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow muffins to cool in muffin pan for at least 10 minutes (otherwise they may break apart). Then, transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- If using frozen blueberries tap dry using paper towels before adding them to the batter. Do not thaw frozen blueberries before using.
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 34mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 9IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1mg